The intention of the WCAHS Adoption Program is to match and permanently place the pets as companion animals with compatible, responsible and loving families. To help us achieve this, we (WCAHS) have put together this list of guidelines that, while by no means complete, should help WCAHS staff determine who is truly ready for the responsibilities of pet ownership.
1. Individuals must:
a. Be 18 years of age
b. Have the knowledge and consent of all adults living in their household.
c. Agree to spay/neuter (by a veterinarian) if not done prior, on or before the date specified on the adoption contract.
2. All placements are made directly to the adopters. NO pets are adopted for gifts or for a “Second party.”
3. Renters must have their landlord’s written permission to keep a pet. Permission will be verified by WCAHS.
4. Any family adopting a WCAHS pet must agree to return the pet if for any reason, they can not keep or care for it or notify WCAHS if they want to rehome.
5. We recommend puppies or kittens be at least 6 months of age for placement with young children to increase safety for everyone.
6. We recommend cats, in general, be kept as indoor pets, but we insist that declawed cats be placed as indoor only pets.
7. We insist any existing household pets be altered and up to date on vaccinations before the placement of a WCAHS pet
in that home to prevent the potential spread of disease and pregnancy.
8. While WCAHS has no minimum income criteria, we recommend any family considering adoption have the financial ability to
care and provide for a pet. A staff member will discuss minimum care and provision standards with potential
9. WCAHS will not adopt any animal to someone who has been convicted of a crime involving animals.
10. With our limited staff, please understand it can take anywhere from 12-48 hrs. for us to evaluate your application and respond.
11. Understand that WCAHS has the right to deny your application.
ADOPTION FEES: Puppies under 1 year: $350 Dogs 1+ year: $300
Adoption fees include spay/neuter, microchip, vaccines for up to one year (rabies, distemper/DA2PP, Bordetella/Kennel Cough), deworm, flea and tick preventative, heartworm preventative, Certified Veterinary Inspection (vet exam), and a 4-way blood test for Heartworm, Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and Ehrlichiosis.